Thursday, February 1, 2007

Bob Dylan, Weird Al, palindromes

One of my all-time favorite quotes is from "Spinal Tap": "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

When I was a kid I was really into Weird Al, and I've always loved Bob Dylan without being a fanatic. Plus, I'm a word guy (Palindromes read the same forward and backward, like "radar"). So I'm in just the right spot to find this Weird Al video really clever. If Weird Al annoys you, or you're too close to Dylan, you might find this really stupid.

It's actually off his last album, but with his recent resurgence, it's been getting passed around.



I like that the song is a general satire and isn't just replacing words from a real song with words that sound similar - "Like a Surgeon," "Eat It," "White and Nerdy." In the 80s he had a song called "Dare to Be Stupid," which was a satire of Devo music in general. It led to this great father-son moment where my dad explained the magic of Devo. I was probably 10.

Props to Weird Al for keeping relevant, just like, ahem, Bob Dylan.

No comments: