Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My City's a Sucker: The Thermals/Coachella


The number of bands that skip or arrive tardy to San Diego is only made worse by the number of bands that seem to play here constantly. If didn't see Yeah Yeah Yeahs play in '03-'05 you either didn't want to or you're an ER surgeon.

The Casbah just posted that The Thermals are coming back to town, I believe for the third time since "The Body, the Blood, the Machine" came out last year. I'm always up for another visit from one of my hometown's current heroes, and that album still smolders. But the announcement just comes at a bad time, on the heels of the Coachella lineup. I'd rather see so many of those bands in shit-box SOMA than drive two and a half hours to scorch with a million people to see them play for 20 minutes. Lots of them will go to L.A. before or after the late-April fest, but I have so little faith than many of them will stop in S.D.

(Try to spot the two-second PDX celebrity cameo)

No comments: